Blog

Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

Spanish Word Of The Day

 Spanish Word Of The Day

The word is: Tope. (Toe-peh. But don't say it with a white accent, say it with a Spanish accent. The Spanish "t" is pronounced almost like our "th". Mind you, it's a bit different, but that's the best way I can describe it [the funny thing is that they have a hard time pronouncing the English "th"]).

 And this word means speedbump.




Anyways, anywhere you go in Mexico (at least every state I have been to, 15 states out of 31) you will find these "topes". And they do not only appear in parking lots. They are everywhere. From dirt roads, to neighboorhood roads, to narrow alleys, to highways (which you zoom over because you don't see them in time to slow down).






(Sorry about the blurriness.)





And this one you can clearly see.

So why do they put these "topes" everywhere? Well, I suppose it's mostly to keep people from speeding (since no one seems to obey the laws). 
Usually there are no signs that say what the speed limit is. And when you do see them the speeds are ridiculously slow. So, instead of going the speed limit, everyone speeds. The police only enforce the law when they want to.  But I guess if they decided to stop everyone who broke traffic laws, they'd have to stop every person in the city.

So it forces them to have to install speedbumps everywhere. It's a minor inconvenience. But I suppose it stops a few wrecks from happening.

Also, we have noticed a pattern here in Toluca. Everytime someone hits a pedestrian (which you see quite often), they put a "tope" in that spot.

Anyways, now you have learned the Spanish word for speedbump!
Hmmm ... I should start doing a "Spanish Word Of The Day" more often!

Peace, Love, & Topes
Dacia

3 comments:

Jarron said...

In Peru we call it "Jiba." :)

BTW I enjoy your blog!

JB

Dacia Loa said...

Jiba ... hmmm! I think it's interesting how words differ in all of the Spanish-speaking countries! I suppose I should've named it "Spanish (Mexican) Word Of The Day". :D

Thanks! I have just started reading your blog, and I like it!!

Jarron said...

I'm glad you like it. I found yours on the Wakefields'. :)

Followers