Blog

Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day Of Appreciation ...

Last night as I sat around I decided that for one day I was going to try my hardest to appreciate the good things about Mexico.  Also, I would try to see the beauty of this country. I tend to get caught up in the "it all looks like the ghetto" mood. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? And so I thought that maybe if I made my brain think that Mexico is beautiful, maybe I would begin to actually think that way.

And I'm happy to report that it worked.

First thing I noticed was the stoplights. Have you ever realized how in the US when you are coming to a stoplight and it's green that it suddenly turns yellow? It stays yellow for one second and then it turns red. It's like they don't even give you time to stop. Unfortunately, you run a red light. I mean, it changed at the last second.

Well, here in Mexico they have a really cool thing going on. When the light is about to change to yellow the green light starts blinking. So then you know that it's fixing to turn red in a few seconds. So, instead of slowing down, you rev up your engine! HAHA! Okay, so maybe it doesn't keep people from running red lights, but it does give you a better warning!


Green

*flash* *flash* *flash*
Yellow.

Red!
See how that works??

Why am I putting pictures of stoplights like y'all have never seen one before? *shrug*
Anyways, that was the first thing that I decided was cool about Mexico. Maybe they do that in some places in the US, but I haven't seen it yet (and I have been to twenty-three states so far).

The second thing that I noticed is that ... we are surrounded by beautiful mountains (and a cool volcano) on all sides. We live in a valley. I suppose I take this beauty for granted. But I always suddenly appreciate it when we get near the border of Texas and everything is very flat. Then I'm like, "Ugh! Give me some mountains!"


More mountains and hills.

And more! Plus, a lake! It's so beautiful!



Church on a hill!


The third thing that I decided to appreciate was the rain. I mean, it is rather frustrating when you have plans to do something (outside) and then it rains.

But I decided to look on the bright side. At least it keeps everything extra green!


Plus, it hails enough that it make it look like it snowed!!
 



Also, if it didn't rain all of the time, we would never get to see such beautiful rainbows!


Another thing I like is that there are little "mom and pop" stores everywhere. So instead of having to drive somewhere to buy something, you can just walk to the "tiendita" right by your house.
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one right now.

Another thing I adore about Mexico is how they have markets that specialize in selling fruits/vegetables and meats.

And not only are their markets that have their "special" things, but there are also towns, or colonies, should I say. We have a colony around here, San Mateo Atenco, that sells nothing but shoes. It's store after store of shoes. But, of course, I haven't been there in like six years (back when we first lived here was when we used to go see all of the cool stuff).
Entrance to San Mateo.
We also have a colony, San Pedro Totoltepec (I think), that sells nothing but wooden furniture. The people are carpenters, I guess. And then you have the colony that sells pottery. Every town seems to specialize in something! LOL!

Cups!


Candy!


Another thing that I enjoy about Mexico is the fact that it's more laid-back. I mean, sure, it can be hectic too.

But even with all of the backed up traffic, there's still a simple, country life that manages to stay alive.
Turkeys!!! *Gobble Gobble*





There!
That's about as much appreciating as I could do in one day ... whew, it wore me out! HEHE!

There was my day of being grateful/appreciative. And it was also my day of noticing the beauty. I should do it more often!

"In everything give thanks ..." right? So I guess that means in rain or shine, in hail (which I love), on bumpy, dirt roads, and even in heavy traffic.  :D

Peace, Love, & Appreciation
Dacia

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Love it! even see I'm in the pictures!!

Marvin C. C. said...

Now This Post I Love. Im Glad Your Looking At Things The Positive Way. Mexico Sure Can Be VERY beautiful!

Dacia Loa said...

@Kris, Haha! Yeah, some of these were old pictures! LOL! But they were so pretty that I had to put them up!
@Marvin, yep, Mexico can be very pretty! And, believe it or not, I really do love this country. :D

W.D and Amber Hilton said...

I LOVE this post!!!! =)) And you are very good at keeping the reader interested with pictures! I love pictures! See, now I REALLY wanna go to Mexico!!! =)

Dacia Loa said...

Well, you're just going to have to come visit!! :)

Dacia Loa said...

You could plan a joint trip with Kris n David. You know, so she'd be here too! :D

Followers