Blog

Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Experience In A Mexican Hospital

WARNING
If you HATE reading, EXIT now!
Because this might is going to be a long post! 

For those of you who didn't know, I recently had to make a trip to the hospital.
Now don't freak out! I didn't have a heart attack or anything like that.
Hehe.

The (thankfully) boring fact is that I had to have my gallbladder removed (lots of unbearable pain, from which I will spare you the details).
Anyway, we found a doctor here in Toluca who came highly recommended by some people in our church.
And my dad chose a hospital.

Last Tuesday is when I went in to have surgery. I took my camera because I wanted to document my time there because I knew that I MUST blog about it! (He.He.He.)


They started out by putting an IV in my arm. I have sort of a new fascination with needles being put into my arm (every since I went to have my blood drawn a couple of weeks ago)! Let me tell you people, it DOESN'T hurt. Goodness, the way people go on about being scared of needles and such I really expected to be traumatized! 

This is when they were wheeling me out to surgery. Everyone kept asking me if I was nervous. I honestly did not feel nervous at all (and I really mean that, I'm NOT just trying to be tough). I mean, what's the worse that could happen? (Death?)
:D

I was wheeled to the surgery room and made to get onto about a million different gurneys. After that I was taken to a room where about a hundred people were introducing themselves to me. And then they started pumping me full of anesthesia . The lady asked me if I drink alcohol. I was like, "No." She  said, "Well, you're fixing to feel drunk."  The dizziness that ensued sure felt strange. And then before you know I was out! Gone! 

Two Hours Later ...

Next thing I know, I'm moving. My eyes flutter open and I see all these faces, with masks on, hovering over me. And I'm on this "cart" being pushed down a long, dimly lit hallway. I was quite disoriented. 
"Where am I? Who are these people?" 
Then it all came back to me. 
"Ohhh, I am at the hospital. They're done with my surgery already?"
Of course, after that I think I faded back into unconsciousness a few times because I don't remember them putting me back into my bed.
I look weird, huh?! HAHA!

The doctor came to give my parents my gallbladder in a jar. Kind of gross.
My eyes might be open but I don't remember this at all.

After that I had some visitors. But at that point I was still halfway out of it and so most of their visit is foggy.
And I didn't get a picture either! Arg. 

But then I did have more visitors. Of course, I KNEW that all of the Caltzontzin family would come see if the surgery turned out fine because they are like family!
But it still almost brought a tear to my cheek to see them all there (there was actually a rule that no more than two people were supposed to be in the room at one time, but hey, who follows rules?)!

My buddy Carlos came to see me too, and he is the only one that brought me a gift! Aww! 
:D

Well, during the visit with all of the folks in the pictures above I grew very sick. Nausea began creeping in and they had to find me a container and held me up while I gagged and gagged. 

After they left that is when all the "fun" started though. I began vomiting again and again. YUCK!
And then the doctor came and they hooked more tubes up to my arm!
The medicine only kept the nausea at bay for about three hours though.

Needless to say, I kept my poor, dear mother up all night with all the throwing up. You know, you never really appreciate your mother until things like that happen where you are too weak to get out of bed but she is there to take care of you. 

Hospitals are all new to me which is why I HAD to take a picture of these things! 
:D

By the morning time I felt miserable. I don't think I had ever felt so terrible in my entire existence.
When the doctor finally showed up to check on me he said that I was dehydrated and that my blood pressure was really low. So they came to hook more stuff up to me.

By this time I had already gone through like twenty nurse changes. And around this time is when a lady nurse showed up who was slightly rude and definitely has something against Americans. First off she started scolding me and telling me that I shouldn't lie to the doctor. She said that I had told them one thing and told the doctor another. And so she was standing there basically calling me a liar (all because the doctor got onto the nurses because of something I said ... HAHAHA). 

Poor me. She very nearly made me cry. And so then afterwards when she came back to check on me and ask if I felt any better (because they had pumped me full of ... something. I don't know what). Guess what I did? I, Dacia Loa, was actually rude for the FIRST time in my life. I had decided that I didn't like her so when she asked if it had made me feel any better at all, I said: "No, I feel exactly the same. It didn't change anything." But you would have had to see my face and hear my tone of voice to understand that yes, I WAS being rude! (But I was also being truthful because it didn't make me feel any better.)  

At that point she started going on, railing against the U.S. and our government (which I can understand), but what made me upset is that she had never been there so how can she talk about it? (Just like all of you people out there who talk bad about Mexico without never having been down here to see what it's all about.) Though she did seem fascinated by the fact that I have a white mother but can speak English and Spanish. HAHAHA!

Anyway, to make a longer story shorter ...
My dad finally arrived (he had left to go home the night before). And as you can see my room had an awesome view of the highway (never realized that traffic there doesn't stop. Oh, the noise!)!

And look at the electric wiring mess out there! 

Well, then they forced me to get up and walk around for ten minutes. That was definitely torture because every time I would stand up I would get the urge to barf. 
:'(

Finally, after I felt better they brought me some food. 

And (FINALLY) around four o'clock p.m. I was able to go home!
My first ride in a wheelchair! (Forgive the scary look. What do you expect, I had been in the hospital all night!)
:P

Anyway, if it hadn't been for the fact that I got sick it would've been the perfect stay. And overall everyone was really nice. And the doctor, he was really nice too. 
Plus, I got a "free" pair of house shoes out of the deal!
Teehee!

So I have just been in recovery since. And I know that a lot people who knew about this were praying for me. Believe me, those prayers were appreciated! I am getting better everyday. And I must just say "thank you" to God for keeping me safe. It might be a routine surgery, but anything can happen (there's my pessimistic side bleeding out). And let me tell you that I never imagined that I would be having surgery at the age of twenty-two. But the good news is that I was informed that other than my gallbladder I am healthy as a horse! 
:D

Oh, and I did  have some more visitors. The Cartas brought me a basket full of a bunch of delicious fruit!
Yum Yum! And we've almost eaten it all already!

Peace & Love!
Dacia

P.S.  If you find this to be a BORING post with too much writing ... get over it! Nah, just kidding. But this post is mostly aimed at my brother and sister who I am sure are dying to hear all of the details about this. Because I know they were both happy to hear that their favorite sibling is still alive! HEHEHE! Yes, I AM the favorite!
:P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there Dacia! I'm glad to know that your doing better! Truth Tabernacle was praying for u! Also, your dear friend Heidi kept me informed about how u were doing and was reminding us to keep praying! you have good friends who love u in SoCal! Visit us again soon!
Your Mountain High roommate,
Christy

Kristen said...

:D thank you! I had asked mom if you had taken your camera. :D yes, I did want to know all the details! And wow your room had some HUGE windows! I didn't realize you had so many, I thought it was just that one I had saw in the picture.

Kristen said...

Oh ya- nice house shoes. :D mom had mentioned that nurse....glad you got the courage up to be bold :D

Dolores Frade said...

... Praying for you Chica from IL.
Speedy recovery in process for sure,
I totally love your blog.

High five to your parents and Church members for the great Services I seen in Pictures..

Super Excited about the new souls!

God Bless
Dolores from IL.

Followers