Blog

Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Feria Del Marisco

A few months ago I got taken to the "Feria Del Marisco" for the first time ever. I didn't even know such a thing existed. For all of you who do not speak Spanish, "Feria Del Marisco" means "seafood fair".  Basically it was a lot of shops set up selling ... sea creatures ... to eat. Plus, there are a lot of seafood restaurants in that colony (I had never been on that particular side of town before and didn't even know we had seafood in Toluca, you can tell I never go exploring).

This is what it looked like from the street. This picture is interesting because the little boy looks like he is pretending to shoot someone. Zounds! I hope he doesn't grow up to be a gangster.

Looky looky at the sharky!!! 


My least favorite part of the evening was when my friends insisted that I eat something. Now please understand that I am not a fan of seafood. I especially do not eat fish ever since I read something about fish have tiny worms inside of their flesh. (Sorry, did I just make you lose your appetite for fish?)

So I did the logical thing, I chose the only thing on the menu that wasn't fish, octopus, shellfish, crab, oysters, or anything weird ... I chose shrimp. So you might try to argue that shrimp also have worms but ... since I haven't yet read whether they do or not, I'll just pretend that they don't.

Next came the money issue. Really the only way I like to eat shrimp is battered and fried with lots of ketchup, but that plate was so expensive that I chose the cheapest thing on the menu.
"Coctel de Camaron". (Shrimp Cocktail.)
This is the picture the girls took of me after I took my first bite. You can see that my eyes are all watery. Care to guess what that means?!

Here's a close up. 
Perhaps many of you are not as sheltered as I have been and have eaten a shrimp cocktail before. But in case you haven't, it was COLD shrimp inside COLD ketchup-y, watery juice, with tomatoes, avocados and cilantro, plus you add a little bit of lime. 

The ten minutes it took me to eat it were akin to eternity but I finally managed to swallow it all. 
The only plus to the whole situation was that my friends payed for my food.
:D


No comments:

Followers